Thursday, August 10, 2006

Cross Lake - August 8, 2006


Went kayaking Tuesday evening after I got off work... I just had to get out on the water since I had not been in a week and a half. It was a very hot day. Even when we were out on the water the temperature was still 90 degrees at 7 PM.



Even the water was hot. Little Bit likes to get on the front of the yak to see better, but he always falls off after he is there for a while. I will have to see if Dad can build me a stand of some sort to allow him to stay up there without slipping in to the water.


He is so cute after he falls out and gets wet! His hair just sticks up everywhere!



Out on bird island there were a lot of egrets, and immature herons.


I think the birds below are the same baby birds that I took a picture of in early July. The green legs and where they are hanging out are the same! I think they are immature green herons.





I guess these are immature blue herons? But they are certainly NOT blue at all. They are very brown/red.




I caught this heron in the treetop with an egret behind him and one landing.




Well, even though it was way hot, it was still great to get out on the water. Being there always helps me relax and replenish my spirit.


It will be nice to kayak when the temperature goes down a bit. I am looking forward to September when we will take a camping trip up into Missouri. We plan on going to Mill Creek on Table Rock Lake. It is a great campground and a wonderful lake. We plan on being up there when some gospel singers are camping there. Last year when we were there the campground hosts told us that the singers held impromptu sing-a-longs and concerts each night during the time that they are there so Mom and Dad are really looking forward to it.

Well, until next time....Happy Kayaking!
Cathy

3 comments:

Jessica said...

Great pics...I always feel like I'm there with you! Have a great weekend, I love you!

Peggy said...

Nice shots! The baby bird is a green heron, I believe--same markings on the neck.

That water looks perfect--I love a smooth surface!

Peggy

Anonymous said...

Fun, never thought you'd see cross lake like you are now I bet...and, so interesting to see your shots, when you get down here in November with the folks, I will show you that indeed, we must be related because we take the exact same pictures of the same kinds of birds, in different time zones...

Great to see the photos you take, I always enjoy them.

JD