Sunday, June 25, 2006

Cross Lake - June 24


My older brother Don and his wife Susie got their kayaks yesterday, so we had to get out and try them out. They strapped one to each car and off we went to the closest
lake we could find. We had easy access at the Public Boat launh after we paid the $20 Lake Patrol fee.

Cross Lake is a natural lake that covers 8,575 acres. It provides good fishing and water recreation for the city and it is the water supply for the city also. We put in off a grassy area at the public launch, and once Don and Susie got their sea legs, we decided to head out to Rookery Island. It is an island that is a bird sanctuary on the lake.

And talk about birds! Everywhere you looked you saw egrets, herons, duck, and some that I will have to look up.

I was a bit disappointed though. I really expected to see some white pelicans, but maybe they have already migrated elsewhere.

We tooled around the island. The smell is awful because there must be a thousand birds roosting on that island. So we tried to get upwind. As we went around the island we found a small cove. I was taking a picture of an egret, when some baby birdies came out from the bush. I have no idea what they were, I will have to look them up tomorrow.


One of the babies looked like he was fussing at me for disturbing his little paradise.


As we rounded the island the trees were full of blue herons and their hatched chicks. And there were so many species of birds so close together...I have never seen so many in one place.


After circling the island, we decided to head on back to pack up. It was a very hot day and we were out in the heat of it. I think I will come back out tomorrow during the late afternoon and see what it is like towards the end of the day.

As we got back to the bank a nice lab looked like he was really wanting to swim out to me...Lucky he was on a leash!
Well..I'll put my trip Sunday in a different entry...

Happy Kayaking!

No comments: